The Archangel is the first and sole surviving ship of its class, a powerful transatmospheric heavy assault carrier developed for the Alliance by Orb manufacturer Morgenröte as part of the Atlantic Federation's secret "G Project" in CE 71. Fast, heavily-armed and armored and able to carry a sizable number of mobile suits, the Archangel has gained widespread renown as one of the members of the Three Ship Alliance and for its instrumental role in ending the Bloody Valentine War.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
- "Lohengrin" Positron Blaster Cannon x2
- The most powerful weapon of the Archangel is its pair of "Lohengrin" positron cannons, which are retractable and mounted inside the two front "legs" of the ship, directly below the hangars.
- "Gottfried Mk.71" 225cm High-Energy Beam Cannon x2
- The only other beam weapons carried by Archangel-class ships are two "Gottfried Mk.71" 225cm high-energy beam cannons, which, like the ones of the Izumo-class ships, can move into several positions. These dual-barreled cannons are mounted above each catapult, allowing the ship to, if necessary, provide cover fire for its launching mobile suits
- "Igelstellung" 75mm Automatic Multi-Barrel CIWS x16
- The Archangel is armed with an array of "Igelstellung" 75mm automatic multi-barrel CIWS guns, used to shoot down incoming missiles or mobile suits that might have slipped past
- "Valiant Mk.8" 110cm Linear Cannon
- Each side of the ship mounts a single "Valiant Mk.8" 110cm linear cannon, which is stored inside the side of the rear propulsion unit when not in use. The Valient, despite being of a lower caliber than the Gottfrieds, is the largest single weapon mounted on the ship. Although a powerful weapon, its enormous size(nearly the length of the ship itself) makes it very vulnerable to attack.
- "Helldart" Anti-Air Missile Launcher x16
- An array of "Helldart" anti-aircraft missiles are loaded into and stored on tubes on the bridge tower. These light, medium-to-close-range missiles are primarily designed to shoot down aircraft, but are equally effective against mobile suits.
- Aft Missile Launcher x24
- The stern of the Archangel-class houses two sections that project backwards directly behind its dorsal wings and directly above its engines. These launchers house heavier "Sledgehammer" anti-ship missiles and anti-air "Korinthos" and "Wombat" long-range anti-air missiles. Because the launch tubes face towards the rear, when deployed these missiles normally perform a 180° turn in a wide arc around the side of the ship and then forward towards their target.
- Laminate Armour
- The hull of the Archangel is made up of laminate armor, which dissipates the heat of beam weapons across the whole hull, granting the ship an incredible defense against beam weapon fire.
- Ablative Gel
- As a protoype ship, the Archangel-class is equipped with several unique and new features. One such feature is an ablative gel, which can be released by the ship during atmospheric reentry to absorb heat.
- Anti-Beam Depth Charges
- For additional defence, the ship can fire anti-beam depth charges, which release clouds of beam-absorbing particles. These are fired from hull-mounted launchers, which also serve to launch signal flares.
- Smoke Dischargers
- The ship is also fitted with a set of dispensers that discharge a thick cloud of smoke, giving it additional cover by rendering visual detection impossible and allowing the ship to rapidly, if need be, mount a surprise attack against enemy units.
- Underwater Propulsion
- Since the end of the Bloody Valentine War, the Archangel has been refit to enable it to travel underwater. Its underwater combat capabilities are extremely limited, as very few of the ship's weapons would function underwater, and although it can launch mobile suits while submerged its complement lacks any effective naval-combat mobile suits. However, it does allow the ship to more easily travel long distances while avoiding detection.